Basic Life Support
Basic Life Support
School of Healthcare and Psychology
The Basic Life Support (BLS) course provides healthcare providers and public safety professionals the awareness, knowledge, and skills necessary to reply to breathing and cardiac emergencies in adult, child, and infant patients.
Through the use of skills demonstration, practice, and case-based emergency response scenarios attentively studied on team-based response, Basic life support builds the key critical thinking, problem-solving, and team dynamic skills that are needed to drive better patient results.
Key Words: Basic Life Support, Cardiac Arrest, Recovery Position, Automated External Defibrillator, Choking, Rescuer, Victim
On completion of this course each student is expected to be able to:
A. Subject Knowledge and Understanding
- LO 1. Describe the significance of early detection of the patient status’ deterioration and assess a collapsed victim.
- LO 2. Understand airway management and ventilation inside the Basic life support (BLS) process.
B. Cognitive Skills (Critical thinking, Problem-solving)
- LO 3. Recognize information on the clinical direction of the BLS procedure for adult patients and hypothetical standards.
- LO 4. Recognize the airway, breathing and circulation to deal with Basic life support in children and infants and hypothetical standards.
C. Practical/Professional Skills
- LO 5. Distinguish between Basic life support techniques for adults and Basic life support techniques for children and infants. pathways, and understand how these are implemented in a medical setting.
- LO 6. Differentiate between choking in adults and choking in children and infants.
- LO 7. Practice how to treat choking in adults and choking in children and infants.
The key themes covered by the course and their indicative weighing:
- Adult Basic life support techniques (25%)
- Paediatric Basic life support techniques (25%)
- Choking in adults (20%)
- Choking in children and infants (20%)
- Basic life support and Detect cardiac arrest (10%)
Students successfully completing their course and assessments will be entitled to a digital badge. A digital badge is a connected, verifiable electronic imagery credential which reflects the achievement of the learning outcomes on their course.
Students may read more information about digital badges at: