Detecting Oral Cancer
Detecting Oral Cancer
School of Healthcare and Psychology
This course will introduce the importance of regular screening as it pertains to the detection of oral cancer in its early stages.
The course will explain factors that put patients at an increased risk for developing various forms of oral cancer, as well as explore the difference between regular and pathological conditions in the mouth.
You will also learn about the legal responsibilities of medical professionals to treat patients to the best of their abilities, or to refer a patient if their condition transcends their area of medical care.
Oral cancer is a prevalent condition that arises in hundreds of thousands of individuals annually.
For this reason it is important to know exactly who is at risk and how to go about identifying cancerous tissues as they arise.
Key Words: Screening, Risk-Factors, Identification, Prevention, Responsibility
On completion of this course each student is expected to be able to:
A. Subject Knowledge and Understanding
- LO 1. Describe the importance of early screening and identify the risks associated with ignoring oral cancer at early stages.
- LO 2. Identify risk factors associated with various oral cancers and demographics that are most commonly at risk.
B. Cognitive Skills (Thinking Skills)
- LO 3. Differentiate between normal conditions and pathological conditions of the mouth.
C. Subject Specific Practical/Professional Skills
- LO 4. Recognize medico-legal threats and responsibilities of health professionals to the patient.
- LO 5. Describe the roles of various team members in detection of oral cancer, referral to specialist care, and oral cancer screening.
The key themes covered by the course and their indicative weighing:
- The Importance of Early Cancer Detection (34%)
- Common Causes and Risk Factors (33%)
- Medical Legal Responsibilities (33%)
Students successfully completing their course and assessments will be entitled to a digital badge. A digital badge is a connected, verifiable electronic imagery credential which reflects the achievement of the learning outcomes on their course.
Students may read more information about digital badges at: