School of Healthcare and Psychology
Has your healthcare practice implemented remote consultations?
Are you unsure of the foundations of good telemedicine practice?
This course will help you to understand the principles of a safe and effective remote consultation.
Key Words: Telemedicine, Telehealth.
On completion of this course each student is expected to be able to:
A. Subject Knowledge and Understanding
- LO1. Define telemedicine and it’s limitations.
B. Cognitive Skills (Thinking Skills)
- LO2. Assess the criteria necessary to conduct a remote consultation.
C. Subject Specific Practical/Professional Skills
- LO3. Recognize the risks involved in remote consultations and the measures that can be taken to protect patients in emergency situations.
- LO4. Recognize how to gain consent in a remote consultation.
- LO5. Define which categories of medication are not suitable for remote prescription.
D. Other Skills (e.g. Key transferable)
- LO6. Identify vulnerable patients who may seek and misuse dangerous medications.
The key themes covered by the course and their indicative weighing:
- Defining Telemedicine (50%)
- Patient Safety, Remote Prescribing and Emergency Procedures (50%)
Students successfully completing their course and assessments will be entitled to a digital badge. A digital badge is a connected, verifiable electronic imagery credential which reflects the achievement of the learning outcomes on their course.
Students may read more information about digital badges at: